Sunday, March 22, 2009

Stop Whining!

Dodgers.com reports that the Dodgers made a move today that was probably a week or two coming.

They cut Shawn Estes.

Not without reason, of course. Estes has an 8.44 ERA in 5 games (10.2 innings) this spring. He's not pitching well, everyone can see that.

Well... almost everyone. Except, that is, for Shawn Estes.

"It's disappointing and a little shocking, to be honest."

Really? Really??? Here are pitchers you've doing worse than this Spring:

-Eric Milton
-Claudio Vargas
-Jason Schmidt
-Jeff Weaver

That's quite a list of names to be bested by Shawn.

But ok, fine. Maybe you were hoping for more of a chance this Spring. But now you've been given an ultimatum. You can keep this job, report to Albuquerque, prove you still have something in the tank, and wait for an opportunity to make it back to the majors, or you can ask for your release and try to find another team.

But could you just do it without whining?

"I feel I could have been the right man for the [fifth-starter] job... I don't really agree with it. I feel I can help the club. I'm just starting to find my rhythm with my curveball for the first time all spring, for the first time since my surgery [Tommy John elbow ligament replacement in 2006]. Actually, I feel more confident about my pitching at this point than any time this spring."

Ugh... We get it. You think you still have something left. So go find another team, or just wait it out in AAA.

"Estes did an inventory of the pitchers who might be starting at the club's Triple-A affiliate in Albuquerque and expressed concern over the numbers of arms, as well as the altitude of the city.

'Albuquerque,' he said. 'I might as well go pitch on the moon.'"

Guess not.

Look Shawn, I got nothing against you, but for God's sake:

TAKE IT LIKE A MAN!

If you think you got something left, then go prove it.

Otherwise, stop whining!

EDIT: Estes is going to report to AAA and attempt to become a reliever. Oh kay...

No comments: