I have a hard time finding trading partners because I don't know how much value Pierre has to other teams
Let's assume this is a fit for a couple reasons:
1. Dusty Baker had him for one year in Chicago and liked him enough to send him out there for all 162 games. (Minor Problem?: Dusty Baker knows the truth about Juan Pierre, and will tell the Reds GM to steer clear? I actually have no idea how Baker feels about Pierre, but let's assume he likes him.)
2. The four outfielders on the Reds 40-man roster are Jay Bruce, Willy Taveras, Norris Hopper, and Chris Dickerson, so let's say there is room for improvement. (Minor Problem: Willy Taveras is already basically Juan Pierre) Still, Pierre is an improvement over Hopper and Dickerson.
Anyway, assuming those two things, here's a couple options to chew on: Juan Pierre to the Reds for either Bronson Arroyo or Aaron Harang.
Pierre is owed $10M in 2009, $10M in 2010, and $8.5M in 2011.
Harang is owed $11M in 2009, $12.5M in 2010, and $12.75M in 2011 ($2M club option buyout).
Arroyo is owed $9.5M in 2009, $11M in 2010, and $11M in 2011 ($2M club option buyout).Obtaining either of the pitchers would mean additional payroll, but McCourt is $30M under last years payroll, so he could stand to spend a little more.
Harang's been good, Arroyo's never been great, but both had pretty sub-par years last year, though I'm willing to bet those ERAs will lower in the friendly confines of Dodger Stadium (also, the idea of Aaron Harang or Bronson Arroyo as our #5 starter is actually pretty nice when you think about it). Plus, there's the added benefit that if they don't work out, we don't pick up their 2011 option.
The Reds also have a lot of good young pitchers coming up and filling out the rotation, so more than likely, one of the two I mentioned would have to go at some point anyway.
Personally, I like the idea (probably because it's mine), but then again, it's hard for me to be objective. I'm not really sure the Reds would go for it.
Not to say it doesn't benefit them. They lower their payroll, acquire a "solid" outfielder, and free up space in their clustered starting rotation for a young arm.
See? This trade makes sense, both in terms of economics and personel. Both sides win. This seems like a great idea to me.
...which mean it'll never happen.
No comments:
Post a Comment