Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Player Profiles: Starting Pitchers - Brad Penny

Player: Brad Penny

2008 Stats: 6-9, 6.27 ERA, 51 Ks (17 starts, 19 games)

2008 Analysis: Wow, is it just me or does it seem like Brad Penny made way less than 17 starts this season? I guess I just had him in my head as being out most of the season. I suppose that's because he made only eight appearances after May, and two of those were giving up three runs over two games (one combined inning of work) in mid-September.

Yes, there was obviously something wrong with Brad Penny this year.

Which is too bad considering that when he's on his game, he's really a fantastic pitcher (see 2007).

On June 17th, Penny went on the 15-day DL, and for all intents and purposes, ended his season. He did make two starts in August before going back on the DL, and the aforementioned to appearance in September before going on the DL a third time (and most likely, his last as a Dodger).

2009 Outlook: Penny's option was not picked up by the Dodgers at the beginning of the offseason, which makes him a free agent. It looks like the Boston Red Sox are going to pick him up cheap, which is not a bad idea. Like I said before, Penny, when he's on, is an excellent pitcher. The Red Sox are gambling that he'll be that pitcher for them in 2009.

No comments: