Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Player Profiles: Relief Pitchers - Takashi Saito

Player: Takashi Saito

2008 Stats: 4-4, 2.49 ERA, 18 saves (45 games)

2008 Analysis: Saito was pretty good for the first part of the season, though watching him, you could see he'd lost a little something. He wasn't as lights out as he had been in the past, and his fastball looked like had lost something. But he continued on, picking up 17 saves in 20 opportunities.

But then he tweaked something. He went on the DL on July 18th and was out until pretty much the end of the season. He came back in late September and didn't look much better. He got knocked around a couple times in his six games off the DL. Still, he led the team in saves.

2009 Outlook: Saito signed with the Boston Red Sox earlier in the offseason, and apparently feels he still can contribute to a team. I'm going to miss him, and I wish him luck, but honestly, I don't know if he's got much left in the tank.

No comments: