Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Player Profiles: Relief Pitchers - Joe Beimel

Player: Joe Beimel

2008 Stats: 5-1, 2.02 ERA (71 games)

2008 Analysis: Beimel had a bit of an interesting year. Despite really seeming like he fits the mold of a left handed specialist, Beimel was really used in that role for the first time this year. Over the past two seasons, Beimel pitched almost as many innings as games he was in (137.1 innings to 145 games), or in other words, he was used like a regular reliever.

This season, Beimel pitched 49 innings, in 71 games. Well, pitching 1/3 or 2/3 an inning here and there is good for your ERA (2.02 is the lowest of his career) but not necessarily so good for your team. Beimel had a bit of an issue this year with allowing inherited runners to score. In fact, he allowed 60 inherited runners to score. 60. In 71 games. You do the math.

2009 Analysis
: It looks like Beimel's time with the Dodgers might be coming to an end. If I know about how bad Beimel was with inherited runners this year, you know that Joe Torre and Ned Colletti do as well. As such, there's been no murmurs of Beimel returning to the Dodgers, but there have been rumors of the Dodgers looking at other lefties.

I'm sure, though, that Beimel will land a home. He can still be an effective reliever, if used right. And he's got a nasty pickoff move. I think I'll miss that most of all.

No comments: