Player: Danny Ardoin2008 Stats: .235, one homerun, four RBIs
2008 Analysis: After starting the season in the minor leagues, Ardoin came up to replace an injured Gary Bennett and did an adequate job. He didn't hit that well, but he was better than Bennett. He also provided adequate defense, though again, he was better than Bennett. Still, I start to wonder what it is that we really require from a backup catcher. What kind of stats we would have to get from a backup catcher that would make me want to have him back the next year?
2009 Outlook: If Ardoin can be brought back for cheap (and I mean cheap), then he wouldn't be a bad option as a back up catcher. Ideally though, I would like to get a better hitting catcher so that we could give Russell Martin more days off without having to worry about a black hole of offense coming from the #8 spot.
No comments:
Post a Comment