Monday, November 17, 2008

Player Profiles: Shortstop - Ángel Berroa

Player: Ángel Berroa

2008 Stats: .230, one homerun, 16 RBIs

2008 Analysis: Who would have thought before the season that Ángel Berroa would play more games at shortstop for us than any other player? And play he did. In fact, he made it into 84 games as a Dodger, more than half. And over that span, he did, well... eh...

He did have a couple good weeks of offensive play, but mostly the bat wasn't there. In fact, he didn't collect an RBI with us until July 21st... which doesn't sound too bad for a mid-season acquisition, except Berroa played his first game with us on June 8th.

Defensively, he was, well... eh... He had a .975 fielding percentage (eight errors in 318 chances) which was a step up from his career fielding percentage and for the most part is solid, but still, eh...

2009 Outlook: Berroa's option was declined by the Dodgers, so he's a free agent-ish. I'm not sure, I think we have first rights towards resigning him, but I don't know that the market is blazing hot for Ángel Berroa. I'm getting the same vibe for Berroa that I have for Pablo Ozuna. He's not good enough that he needs to be resigned, nor does he have an unmatched skill-set. I don't think we'll need him back for 2009.

No comments: