Player: Russell Martin2008 Stats: .280, 13 homeruns, 69 RBIs, 18 stolen bases, 90 walks, 83 strikeouts
2008 Analysis: Martin, despite having a solid year for a catcher, saw a regression in many of his stats. His power numbers, RBIs, and stolen bases were all down, though he did raise his OBP from .374 to .385. He had only a few less hits in 2008 than in 2007, but managed to draw 23 more walks. His .385 OBP was good for 10th in the National League, and he ranked second among all catchers in the majors, behing Joe Mauer.
He found his way into 155 games (149 at catcher) in 2008, which is arguably, far too many games for a catcher to be in. On his off-days, he found himself playing third base.
His defensive numbers were good, as far as errors go, raising his fielding percentage from 2007. However, he wasn't nearly as good as he has been at throwing out runners attempting to steal. He was still solid, though, in handling the pitching staff.
2009 Outlook: There have been some rumors that the Dodgers might be looking to trade Russell Martin. I'm unbelievably against that. When you got a good young catcher, arguably one of the top three catchers in the league, I don't care what you think about his work ethic, or whatever crazy reason people have suggested he be traded, you don't get better by subtracting a catcher like that.
There's also been some talk that the Dodgers move Russell Martin to third base permanently and sign a catcher. I'm also against this. For one, not only is Martin's defense behind the plate excellent, but frankly, his offensive numbers aren't as good as you'd like for a third baseman. Look at it this way, there is no catcher on the market right now who will hit as well as Martin does. However, there are some third basemen who will. Martin as a catcher is excellent, Martin as a third baseman is average.For 2009, I hope and expect to see Martin starting at catcher for us. I hope to see Martin take a few more games off. I don't really like these days off at third base. I'd rather he just rest and take in the game from the bench.
I think with a little more real rest, he might be able to bring back some of his power numbers. He'll be a solid starter again for us in 2009.
No comments:
Post a Comment