Monday, October 19, 2009

*Deep Breath*

I was going to go with "Huuuu huuuuhhhh," but I'm not sure entirely how to spell out a deep breath. And I only do this because that's one of the few ways I can express my feelings on tonight's game.

And believe me, I had a lot of feelings. First, stunned silence. Then anger. Sadness. Denial. And now it's just deep breaths. In a way, they're kinda deep breaths of acceptance. We are down 3-1 in the NLCS. Our season is on the brink of ending, and our prospects don't look good.

I'd recap what happened for you, but chances are you've already seen it, and if you haven't, you probably don't want to know. Trust me, if you didn't see it, all you want to know is that we lost.

So, let's move on. Let's look ahead. It's easy to call it a season. It's easy to say we have no chance to come back. And in all honesty, it's probably the wise and correct route to go, so I don't blame anyone who wants to feel that way.

But here's how I'm going to look at it.

I am going to remain cheerfully (possibly ignorantly) optimistic.

And why not? I've, for a long time, believed in the idea of hoping for the best and expecting the worst. So... what is the absolute worst that happens? We lose Game 5 on Wednesday and go out in the NLCS. Ok.

And what's the best? Well, consider this. Coming into these three games in Philadelphia, would you be content with winning just one game out of three and bringing the series back to Los Angeles? No, it's not the ideal situation, but if I knew coming in we'd be able to bring the series back home, I would be content. Frankly, it's kind of what I was expecting anyway. I wasn't expecting a blowout and a heartbreaking loss in the span of two nights, but ultimately, how you lose doesn't matter in the end.

Look, all I'm saying is this: wait for Game 5. As crushing as this game was, and as bad as Game 3 was, we are still not eliminated yet. Again: We're not eliminated yet. Take it one game at a time. If we win Wednesday, then we've gone 1-2 in Philadelphia, and we're only down one game. Then we take it home. Then, who knows?

Right, Randy Wolf (via Dodgers.com)?

"All we have to do is win three in a row," said Dodgers Game 4 starter Randy Wolf, who was one out away from picking up a win against his former team.

"No matter how you spin it, when you're that close, it hurts. You feel stunned. It's not a good feeling and you've just got to move on. It's always tough to swallow. Now we have the opportunity to make something magical happen."

Don't give up hope. We've played underdog all year. We've come from behind all year. We've done some magical stuff already this year. Why not do some more?

3-1 is not impossible.

Why can'
t we do this?

No comments: