I won't lie to you, I've been a little distracted.
First and foremost, the Dodgers are my #1 love. I'm a baseball fan and a Dodgers fan. They are my team.
However, the Lakers are a pretty close second. And in case you weren't paying attention at all recently, the Lakers won their 15th NBA Championship yesterday. And I've been pretty invested in their journey.
Hence my distraction.
But now that's all over. The Lakers played, the Lakers won, the playoffs are over. The Lakers are World Champions. Hoo-rah.
...and now I can focus on baseball again. Not to say I haven't been paying attention this last week. In fact, I'm ready for another week recap. So let's talk about this.
Dodgers started the week with a two game series against the Padres that went, well, less than ideal. A split with the Padres? Come on...
We did follow that up, though, by beating the AL West First Place Texas Rangers, two out of three games in Texas. Nice.
Dodgers went 3-2 on the week.
HOT, COLD, or ROOM TEMPERATURE. Round 9. Start!
COLD:
- Russell Martin - .167 (3-18), 3 BBs, 2 Ks - Russell! Russell! What is going on?! Russell was already struggling coming into the month of June. How's he doing in June? He has four hits. That's it. Four hits in the whole month of June. That's good for a .111 average. I have to believe something is wrong with him health-wise. I have no other explanation for what he's doing (or not doing) this year.
- Mark Loretta - .125 (1-8), 1 BB, 1 run - After starting the year doing so well off the bench for us, Loretta has really seen his numbers drop. In fact, remember how bad Martin has been in June? Loretta has been worse. He's 1-22 in June (.045).

- Clayton Kershaw - 0-1 (1 start), 10.13 ERA (3 ER in 2.2 IP), 4 BBs, 5 hits, 81 pitches - If I could use one word to describe Kershaw's start this week, I think I'd use ineffective. He couldn't find the strikezone, and when he did, he gave up hits. He threw 81 pitches and couldn't make it out of the 3rd inning! I mean, wow, Kershaw. Where was almost no-hitter Kershaw from the Marlins start from three weeks ago?
ROOM TEMPERATURE:
- Juan Pierre - .200 (4-20), 2 BBs, 3 SBs, 4 runs - My second week in a row of just one Room Temperature guy, and this week, Pierre fits the bill. Now, granted, Juan is still fourth in average for the National League (.343, good!), but he's actually been fairly pedestrian in June (.260, meh!) and this week has been his worst in a long time.

HOT:
- Chad Billingsley - 2-0 (2 starts), 3.55 ERA (5 ER in 12.2 IP), 8 Ks - Sure, this hasn't been Billingsley's greatest week, but his two wins this week placed him first, atop the National League in wins (tied with Matt Cain). Very nice.
- Casey Blake - .368 (7-19), 3 2Bs, 1 HR, 4 RBIs, 3 runs - I think, instead of posting nice stuff about Blake when he does well, I'll just make a the Most Interesting Man in the World quip. When he swings his bat, he generates a lot of power with his legs, and even more with his beard. I hope Blake keeps it up so I can do this again.
- Ramon Troncoso - 0-0 (4 games), 3 Holds, 0.00 ERA (0 ER in 4.1 IP) - I don't know how he does it. He's given up almost as many hits as innings pitched (37 in 41.2 IP), and his strikeout-to-walk ratio is only 2:1, but he's still posting a 1.51 ERA on the season, and he hasn't given up a run since May 24th, and only two since May 8th. That's fantastic.
- Jonathan Broxton - 0-0 (3 games) 3 saves, 3.00 ERA (1 ER in 3.0 IP), 6 Ks, 1 baby - Broxton gave up one run this week, but it was a gimme-run. He had a three run lead and wasn't holding runners, so I'm not really counting it. With the three saves this week, he brought his total up to 16 on the season, tied for third in the National League. Also, he had a baby this week, so congrats on that. I haven't heard much about the baby, but just basing it on the fact that Broxton is his father, I'm guessing the baby was born weighing 40 pounds and throwing a 85 MPH heater.

- Rafael Furcal - .313 (5-16), 2 2Bs, 2 RBIs, 3 BBs, 3 Ks, 1 SB, 1 run - Ok, so this wasn't the greatest week ever. And it probably wasn't even the best week on the team. But for Rafael Furcal, it was a sign of life, and that's good enough for me. Furcal was bumped down to the 7th spot in the lineup earlier this week, and responded by stringing together a nice little hitting streak (it's up to 8 games). He's not striking out as much, he's drawing a few more walks, he's got a couple extra base hits, and he's even driven in a few runs. I got to give him props. I just hope that this is the beginning of getting better for Furcal, and not just a blip of "HOT" on an otherwise "COLD" season.
Ok, so we got more interleague, nice. I still enjoy this stuff. Some people say it has run it's course but I (and attendance at the games) disagree. And as much as I despise the DH, it's still fun to get to use one every now and then.
A's and Angels this week. See you then.
No comments:
Post a Comment