It seemed like such a cool idea, let two kids into a press box and allow them to call a Dodger game to be broadcast on the internet.
I thought the idea was so cool, in fact, that I was even looking forward to listening to it a little bit during Sunday's game.
So I tuned in, and to my surprise, the same kid who was calling play-by-play two weeks ago was doing it again. Interesting, I thought, why does he get to do this twice? So I did some digging and found a Dodger press release about the program:
"The play-by-play duties will be split amongst regulars Nick Berman and Jake Reiner, while the analyst position for the two-person team will feature a rotation of Jr. Dodgers Kids Club members."Really? How do I become a "regular"? How did these two become "regulars"? It continues:
"Berman is a senior at Harvard-Westlake High School...
Reiner is currently a senior at Los Angeles' Wildwood High school."
And this is where my illusion was shattered. For those of you that don't know, Harvard-Westlake High School is an incredibly hoity-toity school. I mean really hoity-toity. One of the top hoity-toity schools in the state. Top 3 in hoity, at least top 5 in toity. The hoitiest of the toitiest. You get the point? Berman's family has got to have money.
Well, what about Reiner? Does that name sound familiar? Like Rob Reiner? You know, incredibly rich director and Dodger season ticket holder Rob Reiner? Yeah, that's his son.
So... how in the world did these two end up as regulars?
And they get to call all Sunday Dodger home games this year? Totally unfair. I'm going to start a protest.
My only other route into this is color commentator and the color commentator is always a kid from the Dodgers Jr. club, a club open only to kids 14 and under.
I'm furious with envy. I need to follow up on one of my two plans: get rich, or find a convincing way to make myself seem 14. Both seem easily doable.
Anyway, enough with my complaining, let's get to recapping.
The Dodgers started the week by losing a three game series in San Francisco to go 4-5 on their road trip.
They followed that up by coming home and sweeping the Padres in a four game series at home.
It was the first ever four game sweep of the Padres in Dodger Stadium, and with those four wins, the Dodgers have started the season 10-0 at home. Nice.
The Dodgers went 5-2 for the week.
Round 4 of HOT, COLD, or ROOM TEMPERATURE? Yes, please.
COLD:
- James McDonald - 0-0 (1 game), 16.19 ERA (3 earned runs in 1.2 innings), 2 hits, 4 walks - A pretty bad start (an 8-5 win, April 30th against San Diego) and now a demotion to the bullpen, McDonald's had a bad week. Jeff Weaver, who relieved him in that game is going to take his next start against Arizona on Tuesday. Let's hope a trip to the pen will do McDonald some good.

- Matt Kemp - .190 (4-21), 1 2B, 1 3B, 4 walks, 2 RBIs, 9 Ks, 1 Caught Stealing - The grace period for Kemp is gone. Sorry. I allowed last week's poor performance to go because of the residual heat coming of the week prior to that. But the second bad week in a row for Kemp gets him a bump down to "COLD". That, and more strikeouts in less at-bats. Yeesh.
- Russell Martin - .182 (4-22), 2 walks, 1 RBI, 4 Ks, 1 SB - Martin has really been slow out of the gates. He showed some signs of life a couple weeks ago, but he's since faded. The weird thing about this week? Three of those four hits this week came in one game (the 2-1 win, May 2nd against San Diego). Otherwise, Martin didn't collect a hit in four straight games (an 0-14 stretch). Double yeesh.
ROOM TEMPERATURE:
- Rafael Furcal - .240 (6-25), 1 2B, 1 RBI, 4 Walks, 4 Runs, 7 Ks - Furcal has been consistently "ROOM TEMPERATURE" all year. I felt, though, like this week has been a good microcosm of his season. He's scoring runs, but he's been hovering in the mid-.200s all season. He has more strikeouts than walks, and very few extra base hits. Luckily, Orlando Hudson has been picking up the slack (more on that later).

- Casey Blake - .208 (5-24), 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 1 Walk, 7 Ks - Speaking of "ROOM TEMPERATURE" all year and microcosms... Blake's been in the low .200s all season. He's had a bunch more strikeouts than walks this season. He has been driving in runs, however, with the occasional homerun now and then. Seriously, though, .222? Blake's never been a high-average guy, but this is ridiculous. You know who's been out hitting Blake the last couple weeks? Andy LaRoche (.321, 7 2Bs, 10 RBIs since April 16th). No I still haven't forgotten and no I won't let it go!
HOT:
- Orlando Hudson - .300 (9-30), 3 Runs, 3 2Bs, 1 HR, 7 RBIs, 1 Walk - I have to reiterate what a pleasant surprise Hudson has been this year. I thought he'd be good, but he's been one of the best hitters, consistently, on the team this year. He's scoring runs, he's driving in runs, and he's still playing solid defense. Gotta like that...

- Chad Billingsley - 1-0 (2 games), 2.51 ERA (4 earned runs in 14.1 innings), 7 Walks, 16 Ks - And now for the most consistently good pitcher on our team. Billingsley has really stepped into the role of Ace for our staff. He has been excellent. Six quality starts in six appearances. He's keeping his walks down, and he's striking out a ton of guys (42 Ks in 40.2 innings). His five wins are first in the National League, and tied for a first in all of Major League Baseball. Gotta like that...
Alright, four weeks in... a whole bunch to go. I think I'm settling into this, getting into a groove. It's good. We're good.
Dodgers have another seven games at home now, where they are "HOT". Let's see how long this streak can go.
No comments:
Post a Comment