Sunday, February 1, 2009

Player Profiles: Relief Pitchers - Tanyon Sturtze

Player: Tanyon Sturtze

2008 Stats: 0-0, 0.00 ERA (3 games)

2008 Analysis: Tanyon Sturtze pitched 2.1 innings for us. Three games. Actually, to be honest, I remember him better as the pitching coach during the last game of the season when Nomar Garciaparra acted as manager for the day.

Sturtze is the guy who was signed by us, came up, pitched a little, then got Designated for Assignment, and instead of leaving, just asked to hang out with the team. And Joe Torre let him. So Sturtze was part reliver/part roadie for us in 2008.

2009 Outlook: Up until a few weeks ago, I would have guess retirement for Sturtze, but the Dodgers signed him to a minor league deal a few days ago. Why? I have no idea. All I can say is, I hope we don't end up using him. That being said, knowing Joe Torre, he'll be in our bullpen by July.

No comments: