Sunday, May 30, 2010

Dodgers Retrospective - Week 8

Getting back in the swing of things. I'm glad I got back to town just in time to see the Dodgers start playing .500 baseball again.

They went 3-3 this week ... although, silver lining: they did it in such a nice pattern - L, W, L, W, L, W.

Alright, so, what happened this week?


Clayton Kershaw Continues To Regress

Admittedly, he looked shaky at times this week, but he made two starts and the final box score shows:

-6.0 IP, 0 ER (1 Run), 4 Ks
-5.0 IP, 2 ER, 9 Ks

So, you can obviously see his future is bleak.


Ryan Dempster Practices Voodoo

... It's the only way to explain how he can shut down the Dodgers so consistently. In 22 career games (12 starts) spanning 93.2 innings against the Dodgers, Dempster's ERA is 2.31. I mean ... seriously.

Notorious Dodger slayer Jake Peavy has a 2.27 career ERA against the Dodgers in 158.1 innings. Tim Lincecum's career ERA against the Dodgers is 2.96 in 48.2 innings.

Dempster is a guy, by the way, who has a career ERA of 4.39. His 2.31 mark against the Dodgers is 2nd lowest amongst all NL teams (Dempster has a 2.00 ERA against Florida, in 27 IP) and
the lowest in his career against any team he's pitched over 30 innings against.

I know a pitcher's ERA versus a team over their career is a skewed stat because of all the variables (changes in lineup, changes with the pitcher himself) ... all I'm getting at is this: why in the world can't the Dodgers beat Ryan Dempster?

Ryan Dempster, seen here owning the Dodgers.


Andre Ethier Is Almost Back

... and I'm giddy like a school girl.

After being shutout twice by the Cubs (Tuesday vs. Dempster and Thursday vs. Ted *cough* cheater *cough* Lilly ... I kid. But seriously ... cheater.) the Dodgers could use him back in the lineup.


Whatever The Opposite Of A Gold Glove Is, Rafael Furcal Wins It For This Week

Furcal came off the DL this week, and apparently forgot how to play defense while he was away.

Here's a quick list of the days this week in which Rafael Furcal started a game and did not commit an error: Friday.

Seriously. This was his week:

Two errors Tuesday, one error Wednesday, pinch hit on Thursday and didn't play the field, error-less Friday, one error Saturday, and one error Sunday.


At this point, you start to wonder if it's a mental thing. Doubt that he can't make a simple play might have gotten in his head and it's screwing with him.

Or maybe it's just rust and maybe he just shakes it off. I guess we'll see...


...and finally:

The Dodgers Can't Win When Vin Scully Doesn't Call The Game

The Dodgers record in all games in Denver or West of Denver: 23-9

The Dodgers record in all games East of Denver: 5-13

I mean, it's good to be able to win at home (15-8), and it's definitely good to be able to beat up on the other NL West teams (15-5), but at some point you have to be able to get past the fact the Steve Lyons is announcing and win in a foreign land (The Dodgers play another 24 games east of Denver, plus more if we get to the playoffs).

No comments: