Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Ok, Fine...

I know I haven't been posting a lot, but it's all part of the plan. You see, this is how I've been going about this offseason:

Picture the offseason as a glass. Every meaningless signing adds a few drops to the glass. Eventually, the glass starts to get full and overflows. And then, as all the non-roster invitees are spilling on the counter, I finally decide to do something about it.

Why am I doing it like this? Laziness? Busyness? The inability to bring myself to dedicate an entire post to Justin Knoedler? Pick one.

Who???

Either way
, consider this post emptying out the glass.

Ok, let's take a look at what we've added since I last posted:

  • Timo Perez - Outfielder. Hasn't been in the majors since 2007. Doesn't have much value. He's dead to me.
  • John Koronka - Pitcher. 4 games since 2006. Never posted an ERA below 5.60. He's dead to me.
  • Reed Johnson - He was signed to be out 4th outfielder. He's ok. His contract is cheap. There were probably better options, but I'm not going to go to war over a 4th outfielder.
  • Justin Knoedler - Catcher. Hasn't played in the majors since 2006. I can't imagine using him at all in 2010 unless something horrible happens to the several catchers ahead of him in the depth chart. Dead to me.
  • Alfredo Amezaga - Utility player. Much like Johnson, he's ok. Also, he's cheap. He can play a bunch of positions. He's coming off surgery so who knows how effective he'll be. Also, I don't know who's spot he's taking on the roster, so he might not even be relevant this year.
  • Jeff Weaver - I actually like this signing! Wow! Weaver was effective as a swing man last year, he's coming back as a non-roster invitee. So, either Weaver will be good and find his way back to the roster, or he won't and will sit cheaply in AAA. Nice.
  • Ramon Ortiz - Pitcher. 5 games for two teams in 2007. 5.45 combined ERA. Has had a below 4.00 ERA once in his career (2002). Here's a better question ... who has a better chance of being useful in 2010: Russ Ortiz or Ramon Ortiz? The answer? They're both dead to me.

Alright. That's it. The glass has been emptied and I feel better.

Look, if something meaningful happens, I'll post about it.

Otherwise, I'll be back in a week and a half to discuss the addition of another five players who are already dead to me.

No comments: